In 1911, Alfredo Bacchini left Italy for New York with a $20 gold piece and a train ticket to San Francisco. After years of scrimping and saving, he opened Alfred’s on Vallejo Street near the site that would become the Broadway Tunnel in 1928. He moved the restaurant to 886 Broadway just one year later. In 1958, he remodeled the space adding the three chandeliers that grace our ceiling now. The chandeliers are replicas of those hanging in the Vienna Opera House.
Arturo Petri opened the Owl ‘n’ Turtle around the corner from the Blue Fox with his brother in law, Bill Varni. Arturo and Alfred had known each other through the restaurant industry and the Olympic Club and in 1973, a deal was struck for the Petri family to buy Alfred’s. Art and his son, Al, made many changes over the years but always maintained the principles and traditions that had made Alfred’s a success. The biggest change came in 1997 when Alfred’s moved to its current location that was the former home of the famous Blue Fox Restaurant.
In 2016, the Alta Group purchased Alfred’s. We freshened the look and the menu as the Petris' did when they first bought the business while leaving its essence unchanged.
We hope to honor and respect the legacy of both the Blue Fox and Alfred’s Steakhouse and welcome many more generations of San Franciscans.